The People's Republic of China Uses Diverse Tools to Access Foreign Technology and Critical Infrastructure
THE PRC USES LEGAL AND ILLEGAL METHODS TO OBTAIN UNSANCTIONED ACCESS TO TARGETED TECHNOLOGY AND CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE.
- The PRC has a large “toolkit” it can use—often employing several tools at once.
- PRC methods continually evolve to evade or bypass other countries’ legal and regulatory measures.
- When one method of technology acquisition fails, PRC actors will pursue another.
- The PRC can use these methods to impede supply chains by limiting exports from PRC manufacturers, taking control of overseas manufacturers, or hampering business operations.
Distribution Statement A. Approved for public release: Distribution unlimited.
- Document Number: DSI-2022-U-032010-Final
- Publication Date: 4/25/2022