Thursday February 23, 2017
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Location: CNA, Arlington, VA
Officer safety and wellness issues remain a pressing concern for law enforcement executives and personnel, policymakers, training providers, researchers, and communities. During this session, CNA and our invited guest speakers will discuss how approaches to officer safety and wellness have evolved over time and where we are now in understanding these issues. In the wake of recent police attacks and ambushes, we feel now is the time to consider what is working well regarding officer safety and wellness, and what we must prioritize in this area. The session will provide criminal justice leaders, policy makers, and researchers with an opportunity to discuss how approaches to officer safety and wellness have evolved over time and where we are now in understanding these issues.
- To register, click here.
- Click here to download the agenda.
- Can't attend in person? This session is also being broadcasted live for participants unable to attend in person. To attend via webinar, please register here
Welcome: Tim Beres, Executive Vice President, Institute for Public Research, CNA
Introduction: James Coldren, Managing Director, Justice Programs, CNA
Opening Keynote: Darrel Stephens, Executive Director, Major Cities Chiefs Association
Panel 1 - Officer Safety: Strategies and Research from the Field
- Zoë Thorkildsen, Research Analyst, CNA
- Brandi Burque, Psychologist, San Antonio, TX Police Department
- Geoffrey Alpert, Professor, University of South Carolina
- Will Johnson, Chief, Arlington, TX Police Department
Panel 2 - Looking Forward: Addressing the Need for Enhanced Officer Safety
- Kristen Mahoney, Deputy Director, Bureau of Justice Assistance
- Jim Baker, Director, Law Enforcement Operations and Support, International Association of Chiefs of Police
- James Coldren, Managing Director, Justice Programs, CNA
- Leonard Matarese, Director of Research & Project Development, Center for Public Safety Management
Closing Keynote: James Stewart, Public Safety Director, CNA