Insights from a National Dialogue on Climate Change, Energy, and Security
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:00 – 5:00 PM (with reception to follow) Location: Woodrow Wilson Center, 6th Floor
Climate change is a complex, multi-decade challenge with implications for U.S. national security as well as transatlantic and global security. Yet comprehensive climate and energy security policy remains a political "third rail" in the United States.
In collaboration with the Wilson Center, the EU Delegation to the United States, the Henry M. Jackson Foundation, and the Energy Foundation, CNA invites you to a discussion of lessons learned from the CNA Military Advisory Board's Climate Security Dialogue, a series of outreach events held by retired three- and four-star admirals and generals across the United States on the nexus of climate change, energy, and national security. Joining two highly regarded U.S. generals will be EU Ambassador to the United States David O'Sullivan to put U.S. leadership in perspective before the pivotal UN climate summit this December.
For related readings, please click here.
To watch the video recording, click here.
For photos from the event, click here.
- David O'Sullivan, Ambassador of the European Union to the U.S.
- John Hempelmann, President, Henry M. Jackson Foundation
- Cheryl Rosenblum, Executive Director, CNA Military Advisory Board
National Security and the Accelerating Risks of Climate Change
- Gen Ron Keys, USAF (Ret.), Former U.S. Air Force Air Combat Command; Chairman, CNA Military Advisory Board
- Lt Gen Richard Zilmer, USMC (Ret.), Former Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs and Former Commanding General of Multi-National Force – West in Al Anbar Province, Iraq; CNA Military Advisory Board Member
- Moderated by Morry Cater, Cater Communications
Lessons Learned from Climate Security Dialogue: The State Perspective
- Phyllis Cuttino, Director, Clean Energy Initiatives, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Andrew Holland, Director of Studies and Senior Fellow, American Security Project
- Mark Pischea, Partner, The Sterling Corporation
- Sarah Vogler, Senior Research Specialist, CNA
- Moderated by Craig Gannett, Vice President, Henry M. Jackson Foundation
- CNA Military Advisory Board Reports
- New G7 Report Highlights Climate Change and Fragility as a Foreign Policy Priority
- Pentagon Releases New Climate Roadmap, Plans for Constrained Training, Challenged Infrastructure, Expanding Missions
- Climate Change a National Security Issue, Say Local and National Leaders From Pacific Northwest