CNA Institute for Public Research (IPR) Ongoing COVID-19 Work
District of Columbia Department of Health
Analysts from CNA's Center for Public Health Preparedness and Resilience who have been onsite with the District of Columbia Department of Health on pandemic-related projects have been redirected to support their COVID-19 response. This effort includes response planning, data collection and incident coordination with other DC agencies. Related work for DC health includes:
- Epidemiological investigations
- Response to Ebola and other viral hemorrhagic fevers
- Infectious disease surge within the DC health care system
- Updating the District's pandemic inﬂuenza plan and medical countermeasure protocol
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (HHS) ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE
CNA's Center for Public Health Preparedness and Resilience has supported HHS on a variety of COVID-19 response initiatives:
- Two tabletop exercises—one for the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, the other for the White House Coronavirus Taskforce—on community mitigation measures when the outbreak first surfaced in the U.S.
- Two pandemic "exercises in a box" including a comprehensive toolkit to support public and private sector stakeholders conduct a discussion-based exercise to prepare for and respond to an infectious disease pandemic; and one on recovery and preparations for a second wave of infections. HHS is planning to post these materials on its website and disseminate them to public and private sector stakeholders.
- A tabletop exercise situation manual for Preparedness and Response that explores key issues and decisions in its lead federal role to coordinate mass fatality management during a pandemic.
FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS AND STRATEGY
CNA's Center for Data Management and Analytics is supporting the FAA with real-time operational analyses of air traffic activity in the National Airspace System. Their work provides hourly statistics for airports impacted by COVID-19, including:
- The number of arrival and departure delays
- Flight cancellations and ground delays
- Graphics of en route and reroutes of traffic within Air Route Trac Control Centers (ARTCCs) affected by COVID-19.
FEMA SUPPLY CHAIN ANALYSIS
CNA's Center for Emergency Management Operations is providing the FEMA Supply Chain Analysis Network for the COVID-19 pandemic with an experienced team of supply chain analysts, engineers, GIS technicians and emergency management professionals. This team analyzes:
- The supply of critical life-sustaining commodities, focusing on groceries and water
- Critical enablers of groceries and water such as the transportation infrastructure
- The impacts of the evolving pandemic on national supply chains, focusing initially on the Seattle and New York City metropolitan areas
CENTERS FOR MEDICARE AND MEDICAID SERVICES (CMS)
CMS directed CNA's Center for Vulnerable Population Protection to evaluate their response operations to the COVID-19 pandemic, including their pandemic plan, the new protocol for COVLD-19 situation assessment and reporting and operations during the pandemic. CNA staff created a corrective action program and is utilizing it to evaluate their response.
COVID-19 Reponse for Prosecutors and Courts
CNA's Center for Justice Research and Innovation is partnering with the National District Attorneys Association to provide prosecutors and courts around the country with networking opportunities to help evaluate the effectiveness of justice-related COVID-19 strategies related to virtual hearings, teleworking, handling grand juries, prosecuting low-level offenses, dealing with case backlogs and addressing issues related to domestic violence and homeless populations. Information will be disseminated via email bulletins, blog posts, podcasts and virtual meetings.