Propaganda, Disinformation, & Other Influence Efforts:
The Modern Information Environment
Security Dimensions of the 21st Century Information Environment
The information environment is an increasingly critical and contested domain in today’s global landscape. CNA analysts are engaged in helping our sponsors and the public better understand the challenges of the 21st Century information environment through projects that combine functional and regional expertise with science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and social science methodologies. The emerging global information environment creates both strategic and operational challenges for US national security. With its deep background in security affairs, CNA is helping policymakers and warfighters to understand the information domains in which they are operating—whether the issue is ensuring two-way strategic communications, understanding malign inﬂuence operations directed against the United States or its allies and partners, or mitigating vulnerabilities and exploiting opportunities in this realm.
Recent CNA work on these topics includes understanding state and non-state malign inﬂuence on partners and allies in Europe; identifying and analyzing the range of tools available to state and non-state actors in Africa and the Middle East; examining the use of the cyber domain to conduct information warfare; and analyses of messages, themes, and audiences in the Indo-Paciﬁc region.
- Mapping the Information Environment in the Pacific Island Countries: Disruptors, Deficits, and Decisions
- Shining a Light on the Western Balkans: Internal Vulnerabilities and Malign Influence from Russia, Terrorism, and Transnational Organized Crime
- Mapping Russian Media Network: Media’s Role in Russian Foreign Policy and Decision-making
- Mobilizing Compatriots: Russia’s Strategy, Tactics, and Influence in the Former Soviet Union
- Exploring the Utility of Memes for U.S. Government Influence Campaigns
- Independent Assessment of U.S. Government Efforts against Al-Qaeda
- Russia’s Approach to Cyber Warfare