The Indo-Pacific Security Affairs (IPS) program provides our sponsors with high-quality, political-military analysis on issues that matter to U.S. interests and equities in the Indo-Pacific region. IPS research examines defense plans and policies, security trends, and other topics of importance to our sponsors related to allies, partners, and other actors across Northeast Asia, ASEAN and Southeast Asia, South Asia and the Indian Ocean Region, and the South Pacific/Oceania.
IPS analysis draws upon the deep expertise of analysts with extensive experience in the Indo-Pacific, with the essential regional language skills and cultural knowledge that is critical to in-depth understanding of the emerging issues facing the region.
- Views of China’s Presence in the Indian Ocean Region: A Workshop Report, Michael McDevitt and Umida Hashimova, March 2020
- Mapping the Information Environment in the Pacific Island Countries: Disruptors, Deficits, and Decisions, Lauren Dickey, Erica Downs, Andrew Taffer, and Heidi Holz with Drew Thompson, S. Bilal Hyder, Ryan Loomis, and Anthony Miller, December 2019
- China’s Presence in the Middle East and Western Indian Ocean: Beyond Belt and Road, Jeffrey Becker, Erica Downs, Ben DeThomas, Patrick deGategno, February 2019
- China’s Military Support Facility in Djibouti: The Economic and Security Dimensions of China’s First Overseas Base, Erica Downs, Jeffrey Becker and Patrick deGategno, July 2017
- The U.S.-India Defense Relationship: Putting the Foundational Agreements in Perspective, Mark Rosen, JD, LLM, and Douglas Jackson, February 2017
News and Features
- The Journal of Indo-Pacific Affairs: Competing or Colluding Commercial Interests? Ports and Free Zones along China’s Maritime Silk Road in Africa, April Herlevi, November 2021
- InDepth: Searching for Balance: Ally and Partner Expectations and the AUKUS Submarine Agreement, Tamara Hemphill, September 23, 2021.
- InDepth: Building Real Cooperation with South-East Asian Partners, Jeffrey Becker, August 2, 2021.
- InDepth: Japan’s New Defense White Paper Elevates Security Concerns Over Taiwan Strait, Brian Waidelich and Elizabeth Barrett, July 23, 2021.
- InDepth: China and Malaysia in the South China Sea: Probing the Limits of Malaysia’s Tolerance, Andrew Taffer and Christopher Cairns, July 22, 2021.
- InDepth: Samoa at a Crossroads: An Island Nation’s Disputed Election Amid Great Power Rivalry, Brian Waidelich and Benjamin DeThomas, May 28, 2021.
- Maintaining the Technology Edge: Strengthening U.S. and Indo-Pacific Alliances to Counter Chinese Technology Acquisition, Satu Limaye and Rose Tenyotkin
- InDepth: Washington Takes a Stand in the South China Sea, Admiral Mike McDevitt, September 8, 2020
- The US Army War College: Parameters: The US Army and the Pacific: Legacies and Challenges, David M. Finkelstein, August 14, 2020
- Kalinga Institute of Indo-Pacific Studies: The Indo-Pacific in a Post-COVID Order, Jeffrey Becker, July 4, 2020
- The Jamestown Foundation: Fighting the Battle for the Pandemic Narrative, The PRC White Paper on Its COVID-19 Response: April Herlevi, June 24, 2020
- Defense One: COVID-19 Offers a Golden Opportunity to Reengage with the Indo-Pacific, Jeffrey Becker, April 27, 2020
- Asia Policy: Change and Continuity in US-Taiwan Security Ties, Lauren Dickey, October 30, 2019
- Prepared Testimony to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation: China's Maritime Silk Road Initiative: Implications for the Global Maritime Supply Chain, Jeffrey Becker, October 17, 2019
- The Interpreter: China's Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands Ploy to Undercut the US-Japan Alliance, Andrew Taffer, September 6, 2019
- Asian Security: Threat and Opportunity: Chinese Wedging in the Senkaku/Diaoyu Dispute, Andrew Taffer, February 12, 2019
- East Asia Forum: China’s Djibouti Military Base the First of Many, Jeffrey Becker and Erica Downs, June 27, 2018
- Contemporary Southeast Asia: State Strategy in Territorial Conflict: A Conceptual Analysis of China's Strategy in the South China Sea, Andrew Taffer, April 2015
- Yale Journal of International Affairs: No Longer the Status Quo? Changes in China’s Approach to Territorial Conflict, Andrew Taffer, December 10, 2013
Areas of Focus:
- Indo-Pacific defense and military affairs
- Engagement, coalitions, allies, and partners
- Traditional and non-traditional security
- Plans and policy
- Regional security dynamics and architecture
- Maritime security, economic security